Friday, August 10, 2007

not really worth knowing
... the book, not the blog



*Update below
It seems to have been a while since I've read a book. Actually, I've read a lot of books I've just been busy blogging about life. But, we were going on a loooong drive, to California, so I took a trip to the library and found a few things to occupy my time in the car... a little light reading, perhaps.

I read "The Devil Wears Prada" and enjoyed both the book and the movie, which for me, is rare. So when I saw another book written by Weisberger I decided to take a break from "Confessions of an Economic Hitman" to read a little chick lit.
Mistake, this was a huge mistake.

Let me begin my critique by admitting that chick lit books are like some people's romance novel, reality show, tabloid magazine, entertainment show, they're my guilty pleasure. I know they're silly and unreasonable. I know they're stereotypical and predictable and I forgive them for that. I do not forgive a good author for having a lack of interest in her character's dialogue. And let's face it, Ms. Weisberger probably got a lot of money from sales of the book and the movie rights to "The Devil Wears Prada". I would then assume she doesn't have to write another book. I'm assuming she wants to write another book.

Because it is a chick lit book, I forgive the predictable story-line and the cliché relationship interactions. I do not forgive dialogue between characters that sound exactly the same no matter what character's talking. These characters are drastically different. One's a nightclub bouncer. One's a debutant. One's a british playboy. One's a gay man. Alright, the gay man sounds different than everyone else. He sounds gay. So there's that.

I didn't mind the story or the characters. Really. But it was hard to read the dialogue when it took an extreme focus unusual to mindless chick lit reading to maintain an understanding of who the hell was talking.

I don't give stars, or points or whatever book reviewers give books and apparently, i don't give much praise either, at least this time I don't.

Read Anna Karenina.


*I hit publish on this post and then began browsing through other random blogs and just two clicks away, look what I came across...another blogger's review here regarding the same book. She has a very different take than I did. I thought it was funny.

No comments: