Sunday, March 15, 2009

An instant opinion

We just finished watching Ratatouille winner of the Oscar for Best Animated Film (2007), for the first time. Let me begin by stating that Patton Oswalt as the voice of "little chef" (the rat) was awesome. Cause I like, like Patton Oswalt, and it's the same director as the Incredibles (which I like, liked). And, with a supporting cast including Ian Holm, Peter O'Toole, Brad Garrett, Janeane Garofalo and my favorite and yours, Will Arnett you'd think I'd do nothing but rave about this film. But besides the scene when the troops of rats exit the dish washing steamer thing all fresh and clean and ready to cook, the rest of the time the rats did not much else but disgust me. And for most of the movie, surprisingly, this happened often, the rats and the disgust.

Any amount of vermin in any size space is gross. But all falling from the broken ceiling of a little old lady's house or scampering across the kitchen floor toward the fridge - among countless other scenes of mass ratness - is more than I want to witness in one hundred eleven minutes. I was grossed out more than anything and for me, movies aren't for grossing me out, I'm not a horror fan for that very reason, and so, sadly, I think I wholeheartedly disagree with the Academy. I know. Shocking.

So people did it change things for you seeing it with kids? Or if you saw it without kids, what did you think?

7 comments:

Happy Girl said...

I agree 100% - I didn't even really want to finish watching.... although you did have a pet rat... now there is an interesting thought!

Flo Paris said...

I really, truly honestly want a snack.
Also, rats/mice..don't really gross me out in any way. Don't know why.
In fact, I'm looking forward to watching the Tale of Desperoux! Or however you spell it...

meg said...

I distinguish between pets and vermin and I think the people that made this film purposefully made the little chef look like a pet rat and the other family members look like vermin, making the little chef adorable at times and the scenes of them all together gross.

Happy Girl said...

your theory is most likely right - and pets and vermin are quite different. except those pets were ones I never touched! :>)

IndianaJones said...

You know I won't say I adored this movie or anything and honestly it's been long enough now for me to forget much of the plot and such but I will say that when I watched it for the first time with my nephews I hardly noticed it was indeed rats we were watching and relating to. They were just little furry things...and I too have no fear of them really so it didn't really faze me.
The only animated flick that has made me stop in my tracks lately is Wall-E. That is visually enjoyable to watch. Ratatouille - not so much.

Marianne Elixir said...

Well, we enjoyed it quite a bit and it made me want to open my own restaurant (though, of course, without rats!). The kids haven't seen it...so I can't pipe in there.

teal! said...

hhhmmm.... i actually loved it (saw it with val w. in a theatre packed full of kids....), and wasn't grossed out at all by the rat-ness....not even by his familial hordes.

(though, my dad did find the whole thing rather disturbing, if i remember correctly)